Yoga has been around for centuries and is a common exercise that many people use. The word yoga in itself means, “to harness” and the original goal was to provide a guide for wholeness, happiness, and well being (Feuerstein, 2003). However, now yoga is viewed for multiple benefits—health of the body, mind, and spirit. Most people think that yoga is something that adults do for exercise, relaxation, etc., but it has wonderful effects on children as well! In fact, many high schools and elementary schools have even implemented yoga in their instruction because of its fantastic benefits for children.
Here are some of the benefits that yoga can provide for your child:
- Reduces anxiety, stress, and depression
- Increased physical functioning
- Improved attention and emotional control
- Improve strength and flexibility
- Reducing obesity
- Enhancing imagination
- Decreasing anger and panic attacks
- Serves as a great tool to calm children
There are many great yoga videos one can find online such as this one:
Article: White, L.S. (2009) Yoga for children. Continuing Nursing Education Series (pp. 277.284).