In honor of our first president and one of our nation’s founding fathers, George Washington, we celebrate his birthday on February 22nd!
Most of us have heard the story of Washington admitting to cutting down his father’s cherry tree with a hatchet as a boy and being praised for his honesty. Cherries are a great source of antioxidants, which can help your body get rid of germs, unhealthy cells, and help heal damaged cells in the body. They have also been found to fight cancer-promoting components.
To honor President Washington and celebrate National Cherry Month, we are sharing this creamy cherry chia seed pudding recipe. And we cannot tell a lie- it’s delicious!
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen cherries, pitted and sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chia seeds
- 3 medjool dates, pitted, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 6 jars- large enough to hold at least 1.5 cups of liquid
- Medium bowl
- Measuring cup
- Cutting board
- Kitchen knife
- Blender (optional)
- In the medium bowl, stir chia seeds into the almond milk
- Add vanilla extract, whisk for 2-3 minutes (you can also blend the mixture in a blender if you want it to be uniform in texture)
- Refrigerate mixture for at least 3 hours, until all water from milk is absorbed
- In each jar, layer, from bottom up- ½ cup chia pudding, dates, cherries, and top with almonds
- Refrigerate for at least 30 more minutes
- Enjoy your healthy treat!