Image from: http://homegrownfriends.com/home/broccoli-spinach-pesto-pasta/
Are you trying to find ways to add more vegetables in your meals? Do love pasta but want a healthier way to prepare it? Why not try this healthy recipe! It’s filled with vitamins and minerals from the vegetables and healthy fats from the cashews and olive oil! Using whole-wheat pasta also increases the amount of fiber to aid with digestion. This “green” recipe is great for the month of March!
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, slightly thawed
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, slightly thawed
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ¾ cup cashews
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta
- ½ tablespoon salt (for water to cook pasta in)
- Slightly thaw the broccoli and spinach by measuring the amount needed and placing them into a food processor. Thaw for about 10 minutes.
- Next, cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Add salt to the pasta water.
- Add parmesan, cashews, basil, water, and olive oil into the food processor.
- Add the lid of the food processor on and mix the ingredients until combined; it will make a very thick sauce.
- Drain the pasta and place back into saucepan. Pour the pesto sauce over the pasta and stir until combined.
- Tip: Pasta can be served warm, at room temperature, or cold straight from the fridge!
Recipe Source: http://homegrownfriends.com/home/broccoli-spinach-pesto-pasta/