Let’s be honest, we’re not all world-class chefs and some days we are busier than others, but would still like to have a quick, easy way to get something our kids will love, that is still healthy into their bodies. We always recommend trying to take what foods your kids crave and turn them into healthier versions. We have previously posted recipes for making 100% healthy homemade pizzas, soups, and fries; today we are sharing another sure-fire hit- healthy mac & cheese!
Most kids are huge fans of the boxed macaroni & cheese, but as parents, we often know and feel it is not the healthiest option out there. These boxes come filled with enriched, processed flour, many types of processed sugar, and so much salt, which can be very addictive. In comes our healthy mac & cheese sauce recipe, which you can make in bulk & freeze to add to 100% whole wheat or brown rice noodles with some frozen veggies- BAM! A healthy, balanced dinner that doesn’t require an entire afternoon to plan and/ or prepare. Serve with a side of fruit and enjoy a nice meal with your family.
Yields ~3 cups
2 tbsp of 100% whole wheat flour
1 1⁄2 cups of 1% milk (or unsweetened dairy replacement)
2-3 cups of shredded cheese (your choice)
1⁄2 tsp of mustard powder
1⁄4 cup of diced onions
1 tbsp of garlic powder
1⁄2 tsp of sea salt
- Pour 1 cup of the milk in a saucepan and warm it on medium heat. In a separate bowl, whisk together the 1⁄2 cup milk and flour. Make sure to whisk well, so there are no flour clumps left.
- Pour the flour mixture into the warming milk and whisk for about four minutes. The milk should begin to thicken.
- Add in any vegetables (broccoli, chopped spinach, peas, cauliflower, carrots, etc.) and allow them to soften.
- Switch it to low heat and slowly add in the shredded cheese. Keep stirring until the mixture has a creamy texture. Add in all of the seasonings, and stir well.
- Pour the cheese sauce over 100% Whole Wheat noodles, and enjoy!
By Dahlia Marin, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist