Getting your kids to eat their green veggies has never been easier with this recipe for Healthy Spinach Bites! These little bites are nutritious, healthy, and make a great snack. Try them today!
Makes approximately 15 nuggets
1/4 cup almonds
2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach
1 1/2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs, divided
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar, but any kind will be fine)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Put the almonds in a food processor and process until they are a fine crumb (you could probably use almond meal instead if you prefer).
- Add the spinach and pulse until the spinach is finely chopped and you have a green crumb-like mixture. Set aside. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can do the chopping by hand. Just chop everything very finely.)
- Whisk the two eggs in a medium bowl. Add the spinach-almond mixture, 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs, flaxseed, basil, oregano, and cheese and mix well.
- Place the remaining cup of breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Using your hands, form a small portion of the spinach mixture into a ball and roll it in the breadcrumbs until it is fully covered. Press it into a flat nugget shape and place it on the baking sheet. Repeat until you use all of the mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven 18-25 minutes, turning the nuggets over half way through the baking time.
- Allow to cool and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of http://happyhealthymama.com/