Who doesn’t love a hand-held healthy meal?! Kids especially love being hands-on with food. This fast, fiber filled, nutritious veggie boat is perfect to load up with any healthy protein or vegetable! Get creative with the color squash you use and the fillings to keep the family excited about dinner time. They’re a great way to mix things up instead of always using the same breads, rice, pastas, or other grains. Our favorite thing is, they’re super green!! Let us know how you and your family enjoyed these zucchini boats.
Image from: http://greatist.com/eat/healthy-zucchini-recipes
- 3 zucchinis
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup tightly packed basil leaves
- 1 clove minced garlic (or half teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) fat-free ricotta cheese (or dairy free cheese)
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Wash each zucchini thoroughly. Cut off the ends and then cut each one in half. Then cut each half lengthwise so you have 12 pieces of zucchini total.
- With a spoon or paring knife, scoop out the seeds and compost them, or use them to make soup broth.
- Place the zucchini boats on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- To make the filling, chop the basil and place it in a bowl with the garlic, grated carrot, ricotta, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix it thoroughly.
- Fill each boat with quinoa, then the creamy mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Written by Dahlia Marin, RD using the recipes from this url: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Healthy-Zucchini-Boats-Recipe-1817236