Yield: 4 servings
- 12 oz steamed cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup of cooked 100% whole grain pasta (elbow or shell)
- Can sub with brown rice macaroni
- ½ cup white onion
- 1 teaspoon of grapeseed oil
- 1 cup coconut milk unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Greyer cheese
- Chickpea crumbs for on top (optional)
- Salt and pepper to tast
- nine inch pie dish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish(nine inch pie dish) with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, steam cubed butternut squash for 8 to 10 minutes or until very tender. Mash squash in a bowl and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta 2 minutes less than package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil and sauté onion until softened and starting to turn brown, about 1 to 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl whisk together: coconut milk, Dijon mustard, Old Bay seasoning, and nutritional yeast. Then add bowl mixture to sautéed onion. Simmer mixture until thickened
- Whisk the Gruyere cheese into the thickened milk mixture until it is melted. Add the mashed squash and whisk until combined. Stir in the macaroni and mixture. Transfer to the prepared nine inch pie dish.
- Use chickpea crumbs and sprinkle on top of macaroni.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until bubbling hot and browned on top, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.