Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of summer and for most the beginning of barbeque season!
Choose low-fat burgers
• 90% or higher lean ground beef
• Veggie burgers
• Ground turkey or chicken breast
Try this recipe: Chickpea Veggie Burgers
Yield: serves 6-8
• 1 can chickpeas, drained, well-rinsed,and mashed
• ½ red onion, finely diced
• 1 small zuchinni, grated
• 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
• 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
• 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 2 tsp black pepper
• ½ tsp sea salt
• 1 cup quick oats (gluten-free if needed)
• 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, place them in a bowl and mash them with a fork.
2. Add all the other ingredients to the bowl.
3. Use your hands to mix very well.
4. Form into 6-8 patties.
5. Cook on the BBQ around 400 F for approximately 10 minutes each side.
6. You can also fry these in a pan with some oil for 3-5 minutes a side.
Grill lean meats
• Skinless chicken breast
• Fish-salmon, halibut, shrimp
• London broil or flank steak
Try this recipe: Fajita Chicken Kebabs
Yield: serves 4
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• Zest and juice of 1 large lime, plus additional for serving
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 1 jalapeño
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 large red bell pepper
• 1 large green bell pepper
• 1 large red onion
• Fresh cilantro, for serving
• Salsa, sour cream (or plain yogurt), and guacamole, optional for serving
1. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place in a zip-top bag.
2. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the canola oil, lime juice and zest, chili powder, cumin, garlic, jalapeno, and salt. Pour over the chicken, seal the bag, the gently “squish” the bag so that the chicken is coated with the marinade. Place the bag in a baking dish to catch any accidental drips, then refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight. If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers in water for at least 20 minutes prior to use.
3. When ready to cook, heat your grill to medium-high. Cut the bell peppers and onion into 3/4-inch chunks, then thread onto skewers with the marinated chicken pieces, alternating the chicken with the vegetables. Lightly oil the grill, then place the kabobs on the grill, cover, and let cook until the chicken is fully cooked and no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning the chicken once or twice throughout so that it cooks evenly.
4. Remove the chicken kebabs to a serving plate and sprinkle with cilantro and a few squeezes of fresh lime juice. Serve warm, garnished with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole as desired.
Choose vegetables for side dishes
• Grill vegetables
• Corn on the cob
• Fresh Salads
Try this recipe: Zesty Chickpea Salad
Yield: serves 4
• 3-tablespoon olive oil
• zest from 1 lemon
• 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 2 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 16 grape tomatoes, quartered
• 2 small cumcumbers, sliced and halved
• ¼ cup chopped red onion
• 1 small garlic clove, minced
1. Combine olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, sea salt and black pepper in a bowl and whisk to combine.
1. Combine chicpeas, tomato, cucumber, red onion and garlic in a large bowl. Pour dressing over top and gently toss to coat evenly. Cover and let salad sit for 30 minutes.
2. Serve and enjoy!
Choose fruit for dessert
• Fresh fruit salad
• Fruit Skewers
• Fresh fruit ice cream-blend frozen fruit and serve like ice cream
Try this recipe: Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Soft Serve
Yields: 3 servings
• 3 large ripe bananas, chopped and frozen
• 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• 3 tablespoons natural peanut butter (can use other nut butters)
1. Add bananas, cocoa powder and peanut butter to a food processor or blender.
2. Blend until ice cream like consistency. You may need to scrape down the sides occasionally but should only take 1-3 minutes.
3. Eat immediately or store in freezer until ready to eat and scoop out like ice cream