We love the dads in our lives and want to keep them around for a long time! The number one cause of death in the US is heart disease. Diets high in saturated fats and sugar promote heart disease. Reducing sugar intake and consuming healthy fats helps us keep a healthy heart. Enjoy heartwarming conversation at the table with the most special men in your lives while eating this heart healthy meal which has no added sugar and contains healthy fats.
Ketchup is a usual favorite, especially to accompany fries, onion rings, or burgers, but can have tons of added sugar. Although we may not add sugar to our food, many foods and sauces like ketchup contain ‘hidden’ sugar. These hidden sugars not only raise blood sugar, but promote inflammation. This whole food recipe lets you enjoy a favorite without having to worry about anything unhealthy hiding.
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 3/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Allspice Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Pineapple Canned Cubes
- 6 oz Carrots
- 2 Whole Dates
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Simmer in saucepan over low heat for 1.5 hour/s.
- When desired consistency is reached, let cool then enjoy!
What goes better with a yummy burger than some onion rings? We love this quick, easy, healthy recipe to get that crunch without the oily mess and heavy feeling deep fried onion rings leave behind. Try them with the homemade ketchup to feel like you’re treating yourself and the dads in your life with wholesome ingredients.
- Grapeseed or coconut oil spray
- Large sweet white onion cut in rings
- 1 whole egg beaten
- 100% whole wheat bread toasted blended until uniform in consistency
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350-400 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet with grapeseed or coconut oil spray.
- Chop one large onion into rings.
- Prepare breading by mixing parmesan cheese with salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat egg in a bowl.
- Dip onion rings in egg and coat with breading.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Jackfruit is a new popular food available for its unique ability to take on the consistency of shredded meat which does not contain the Saturated fat in most meats. Saturated fats are found in animal products and over consumption can result in elevated bad cholesterol which increases risk of heart disease. You can buy Jackfruit whole or, much easier, look for it canned to use in your favorite nacho, burger, or chili recipes. It is most similar in texture to pulled pork, shredded beef or chicken. We used it in our savory burger with some simple whole ingredients to mix it up with some plant based alternatives! Perfect for the days when you want a lighter option.
- 1 can Jackfruit, separated and mashed
- Triscuits mashed to create breadcrumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Grapeseed oil
- Open Jackfruit can, drain brine, rinse
- Using your hands or a fork, separate jackfruit into small shreds (removing inner seeds)
- In a blender, pulse the triscuit crackers with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Pour the healthy breadcrumb (cracker) mixture into the jack fruit
- Add your beaten egg and thoroughly combine all ingredients
- Form mixture into patties
- In a medium pan, heat a small amount of grapeseed oil
- Cook patties until browned on each side
- Enjoy in a wrap, on a 100% whole wheat bun, or lettuce wrap with healthy, homemade condiments, fruits, and vegetables