Happy Swap Out Sunday! So many children have been raised on fruit snacks since the mid 1980’s when they gained major popularity. Now, many parents use fruit snacks in their children’s lunch,or as the name suggests, a snack. No matter if the fruit snack is low fat, non GMO, organic or none of these, the issue is that most people have been tricked into thinking this product is somewhat healthy and a nutritious option.
We would recommend and challenge you to replace your fruit snacks with actual fruit! Whether the fruit is fresh, dried or freeze dried it will be a much healthier alternative to the traditional fruit snack and here is why:
- Fruit snacks can contain 2-4 teaspoons of added sugar
- Added sugar puts children and adults at risk for many types of diseases
- Added sugar is not the same as the sugar found naturally in fruit
- Added sugar can also make children eat less or eat more
- Added sugar can also cause behavior issues when it comes to mealtime
It is also important to keep in mind that you must read the ingredients when buying dried fruit. Some dried fruits with add sugar to coat the fruit. It is important to look for plain dried fruit with no added sugar.
Have a healthy week with your family!