Winter is right around the corner and that means so is cold and flu season. Here, we have provided some tips to boost your immune system!
- Hand washing and covering: Probably the easiest way to help prevent the spread of colds and flus, or protect yourself from getting them, is regular hand washing and coughing or sneezing into the elbow not the hands.
- Proper diet: Not only is proper diet important in combating obesity and diabetes, it also is great for the immune system! A diet that is high in fruits and vegetables is crucial for the support of the immune system. Since fruits and vegetables contain the nutrients that the immune system needs to fight off infections, the more fruits and vegetables you eat, the less likely you are to get sick!
- Exercise: Moderate exercise on a regular basis (at least an hour a day) helps boost the cells that are active in your body to fight infections. So keep those bodies moving!
- Proper Sleep: Not only does sleep help to reduce stress, it aides the immune system as well. Sleep gives your body time to recover and if you’re lacking in sleep, your immune system is not getting the proper time to recover.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is essential to the immune system. Unfortunately not many foods contain enough Vitamin D, however just a little bit of time in the sun does the trick (if weather doesn’t permit sun exposure, there are supplements that can be taken, but the sun is the best bet)!
- Immunizations: Regular immunizations can prevent you from receiving a wide variety of infectious diseases (ex. the flu) so make sure you are up to date on all your vaccines!
- Garlic and Fermented Cod Liver Oil: Both garlic and fermented cod liver oil have been used for centuries to help boost the immune system. Garlic contains a good amount of Vitamin C and fermented cod liver oil has high levels of Vitamins D and A!
What are some of your favorite immune booster during cold and flu season??