“This kind of tastes like fries”. This was stated by a child in one of our group fitness classes. At the end of each nutrition and fitness classes, our team serves a healthy snack to the children. Not chips, juice, or candy but vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. On this particular day we focused on bringing beets to the forefront. So what are beets and why are they good for us?
Beets are a root vegetable that has many positive attributes:
- Great at lowering blood pressure
- Enhance athletic performance and endurance
- A good source of fiber
- Reduces risk of chronic diseases such as Type II Diabetes, cancer, and heart disease
- May improve mental and cognitive function
- Promotes weight loss
In this recipe, we also included potatoes. The key to keeping potatoes healthy is to leave the skin on (this is where to majority of the nutrients are) and DON’T fry them.
Here is the recipe for the Beet and Potato Hash:
- 3 beets, sliced or cubed
- 3 medium potatoes, sliced or cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place the chopped beets and potatoes into a bowl. Add all other ingredients and toss.
- Wrap mixture into aluminum foil and place on a tray in the oven.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.