Wow, is it almost that time to go back to school? Let’s take the Summer we have left and have some fun practicing these healthy recipes that you can give you children when they go back to school. Nutrition is key to helping you child balance growth, mood, and can prevent disease when they get older.
Instead of the usual standard bags used to pack your lunches, get inspired by the different food groups you’ve prepared, and have them all displayed in the different compartments of a bento box. Pick and choose what you like, or even mix them all while eating.
- Turkey sandwich on 100% whole wheat bread
- provolone cheese
- cherry tomato
A great, replenishing after-school snack that has a lot of food groups in it can also be in the form of a sushi roll ー a flavorful one. The conventional way is tweaked to replace mayo with a mixture of avocado and mustard for all avocado lovers, and to replace white rice with brown rice.
- Brown rice
- Imitation crab
- Sesame Oil
- Wasabi (Optional)
- Taro chips (Options)
- In a tupperware place a few droplets of sesame oil to prevent the ingredients from sticking
- Stack: brown rice, imitation crab, avocado, edamame,
- Pack a fruit for your kids to enjoy these four food groups for lunch as we recommend!
Asian Style Chicken Salad
An innovative way of replacing usual school lunches is to mix in some Asian style chicken in a bowl of colorful veggies, and then spice it up with a range of some healthy fats, some vinegar, and some ginger for a distinguished flavor.
- 1 bag Butter lettuce
- 1 bag of coleslaw
- 3 peeled orange
- 4 oz chopped Snow Peas
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp shredded carrot
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp bean sprouts
- 2 cooked chicken breast (make it the day before)
- 2 tbsp sliced almond
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- Mix everything together and you can put it in a box for school lunch.
- You can put the dressing in a little container so it can prevent the salad become soggy.
- You can also put ⅓ of the dressing into the chicken to help with the moisture with the chicken throughout the day.